September 12, 2021
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! The first week was so GREAT!!! We loved having all of the students back in the building with their excitement and energy. We are going to have an outstanding year! We have a busy first full week ahead, so here is what you need to know.
New Information To Share
DPE Social Media: Everyday there are amazing things that go on at Dorothy Peacock Elementary so we want to share our stories with all of you. We use our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram social media accounts to celebrate our school community. Please be sure to follow one of them at @DPEPride
Requests To Move Classes: We are now able to move our students into their classes for the upcoming school year. Our staff both in the Spring and during the past couple weeks have worked extremely hard in finding the best learning environment for each and every student. Out of respect to the process and to allow the teacher/student relationship to develop, we DO NOT MOVE any students during the first six weeks of school. Please do not send emails requesting this. If at the end of October you still have a concern, please don’t hesitate to contact Mr Davids.
School Supplies: If you have a child in Kindergarten to Grade 3, you will get a notification to pay for your supplies through School Cash Online (click here). You can simply pay there. For our Intermediate students, if you ordered through School Start, supplies will be handed out early this week for students to use.
Meet The Teacher Night: Originally it was our plan to have a Welcome Back Community BBQ for our Meet The Teacher Night however COVID 19 restrictions is making that too difficult to pull off. So this year we will be having a more tradition Meet The Teacher Open House on Thursday September 23rd from 5:30 – 6:30. There will be three 20 minute time slots for parents to sign up online. And email with all the instructions will be coming to you during this week.
COVID-19 Notification Process: The Ministry of Education has informed the District of the COVID-19 Notification Process. The District will continue to follow the protocols as set out by Fraser Health to help keep our students and staff healthy and safe. Here is what we can share with you now – Public health will continue to prioritize schools for contact tracing. Public health will directly follow up with anyone identified as a COVID-19 case and determine if other students or staff were close contacts.
- Close contacts are followed up with directly because they may be at greater risk of infection. They will be directly informed by public health if they need to take action, like self-monitoring or self-isolating.
- People at school who are not close contacts are not at increased risk, so don’t need to take any additional actions beyond continuing to follow general public health recommendations.
- In line with practices for other community settings and workplaces, school notifications to the broader school community, such as letters or exposure notices on regional health authority websites, will be used when public health deems them necessary to support contact tracing or outbreak management.
- Public health continues to monitor transmission of COVID-19 across the province, with the latest data on COVID19 available from BCCDC.
Parking: Remember the Drop Off Lane (lane closest to the sidewalk) is for drop off and pick up only. If you have to get out of your car to walk your child to class, please park in the parking lot. The Drop Off lane is for stop, student gets out, then you leave. The middle lane is for drive through only, please do not let anyone out of the car in this lane. Parking regulations are for student safety. Please help us to keep everyone safe.
Crosswalks: If you are crossing from the parking lot to the school please use the crosswalks only. They are clearly marked with large cones. Let’s teach our students how to cross properly with crosswalks.
Information From Last Week
Information Bulletin From Superintendent Gord Stewart: This was emailed to you last week, but just in case you missed it, you can click here.
Communication With Families: It is important to us that we are able to have open communication with our community to share information from the school, celebrate what is happening at DPE each day as well as discuss student progress. First of all, our doors are always open whether in person or electronically. Please feel free to reach out to staff and/or administration if you have anything you wish to discuss.
Throughout the year, we will use the following platforms to share information with the community and celebrate our school:
- School Messenger: This is our main format for sharing information including our weekly This Week At DPE Newsletter which comes our on Sundays. School messenger allows us to email and text the community. We can also use it to call you with an automated message in emergency situations.
- DPE Website: We work to update our website on a regular basis throughout the year. It is a great place to get general information about the school, check out our weekly This Week At DPE Newsletter as well as check out our school calendar.
- Social Media: DPE has a very active social media profile where we are able to send reminders to our community and more importantly, share the amazing learning that occurs here everyday! Please be sure to check out our Facebook (@DPEPride), Instagram (@DPE_Pride) or Twitter (@DPE_Pride) accounts
New Bell Schedule: Please note that we have a new bell schedule for the upcoming school year. We will no longer be having staggered breaks. You can see our new bell schedule if you click here.
School Calendar: Dorothy Peacock Elementary is a busy place! We keep our online calendar up to date with all the important events going on. Please be sure to click here to check it out.
2021 – 2022 Staff: We are continuing to complete our hiring process this week to have everyone in place prior to the first day of school. You can click here to see the most up to date information.
School Supplies: As we get ready for the new school year, many families are asking about school supplies. Here is the information you need:
- Kindergarten – Grade 3 will be bulk ordered from the school to save money and to ensure quality products are available for students. Students will then be given individual supplies from this bulk order to use this school year. We will be sending home information regarding payment for supplies during the first week of school.
- Grade 4 – 7 need to purchase school supplies based on your grade. You can either use the School Start program or buy the items on your own. All the information you need is available if you click here.
Parent Access to Dorothy Peacock Elementary: While we continue to work with the Public Health Officer’s K-12 Guidelines for Covid 19, we are asking parents to please minimize their access to the school. Please only come through our front doors and complete the Visitor Health Check on the table in the foyer prior to coming to the office. It is best if you arrange a meeting if you need to come speak with a staff member. Your cooperation with this is much appreciated as we continue to make the safety of our students the top priority.
Noon Hour Supervisors: We are looking for two noon hour supervisors to work at our school from 11:45 – 12:45. If you are interested in this position, please connect with Mr Davids directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)
DPE PAC News
Langley Children’s Choir is looking for singers! Openings are available for singers in grades 4-7.
What are we looking for?
- Good attitude and enthusiasm!
- Advanced vocal skills, and focus
- A firm commitment to the group
- Desire to develop as a singer and choir member
What do I get out of this?
- Make new friends who like to sing, too
- Learn about how to sing better and learn lots of music
How Do I Join?
- Contact us with your name, phone number, school and grade.
- Patti Thorpe email email@example.com
Coming Up This Week (September 13th)
Grade Assemblies For Students
Coming Up The Following Week (September 20th)
Terry Fox Run
Meet The Teacher
Pro D Day – no school for students